Saturday, September 25, 2010

White Castle Casserole

Is it health food? Nope. Is it gourmet? Absolutely not. Is it good? You bet.
My friends, I give you White Castle Casserole! I originally printed this recipe from RecipeZaar (which is apparently food.com now) on March 11th, 2010, and I can't figure out why it's taken me so long to give it a try! I have always liked White Castle, but there's not one that close by, so this was a great copycat recipe for those times when you want some White Castles, but a visit to the restaurant just isn't in the cards. (And yes, I know that you can buy frozen White Castles at the grocery, but it's not the same. Sometimes the bun gets hard, and they're just not as good when that happens!)
It's not exactly the same as a real White Castle, but it gets pretty close. I used the reduced fat crescent rolls for this, and they seemed a little "off". Next time, I'll use the full-fat ones. Because, really, if you're the kind of person who is making White Castle Casserole, are you really counting the calories and fat? Probably not. :)
White Castle Casserole
1 package dry onion soup mix
2 (12 oz) cans crescent rolls
1.25 lb. hamburger
American cheese slices (or shredded cheese of your choice)
Dill pickle slices
Mustard
Cook hamburger with onion mix. Drain extremely well. Lay a whole can of crescent rolls in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish (do not break the rolls apart). Layer hamburger, cheese, pickles, and mustard up and down across the pan. Lay a whole can of crescent rolls on top. Bake at 350 degrees until brown. Cut in squares and enjoy! (Makes 8 servings)

1 comment:

  1. I have forgotten all about this. I'll have to try it sometime. I'll have to leave out the pickles though. Not sure that I could handle hot pickles.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...